Saturday, September 11, 2010

Reality

Originally posted June 11th 2010:

I’ve been watching a lot of reality TV lately, primarily because it’s summer and I actually have time to sit on my ass and waste time. I’m not really sure what the appeal is, especially since reality TV is not really “reality” at all, but it’s like a train wreck–you can’t look away. There’s an unlimited supply of bimbos with boob jobs, celebrities seeking “love” and Jersey anything…a gold mine of shows that require absolutely no thinking at all to watch. My personal favorite: The Real Housewives. For one hour a week I can plug myself into the lives of these women who’s most difficult decisions are about what plastic surgeries they should get next. It’s quite an amusing escape. (Anyone been watching The Real Housewives of New Jersey? Ridiculous…..) Unfortunately, watching someone live their life is easier than actually doing it for yourself. Eventually you have to face your own challenges. For me–college and everything that is included. The reality is that right now the choices I’m making are going to be reflected on the rest of my life. It’s intimidating. I used to want a career in business but then I fell asleep watching The Apprentice. I question myself constantly–am I making the right choices? When it comes down to it you have to turn off the TV and face your own reality, you’ve got to leave some dreams behind, cut your loses and step out into that great unscripted void–and it’s nothing like you see on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment